Translate

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lord Love a Duck

So, I said "yes."

I'm knitting a striped, Steve-Blues-Clues green stocking for a darling boy. No problem there. But, it is to be felted. Right now, the circumference of the top measures two feet. Abby had ordered 4 balls of Ultra Alpaca for the thing (nice stuff), and I thought there would be plenty left over.

After knitting a couple days on it and getting to the 12" mark, it looked like a sweater for a 4 or 5 year old. I knew at this point, I would start the decrease. Did I bother to read beyond that? No. I assumed it would be wider than longer and shrink accordingly.

It's been a while since I've felted. I've done a pair of slippers and laughed at how floppy and big they were. I've felted a hat and laughed as I had Chris take my picture with the unfelted bucket of knit on my head.

I'm not laughing now. At 12", I picked up the directions and read: decrease 2 stitches every 14 rows until the piece measures 26". Then I get to do the foot.


Sigh. I'm just like Steve. I never see the clue first.

No comments: