Translate

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. And, three clarinets and a sax, please!

It is Winter Solstice and I have resurfaced. It's been almost two weeks since I've posted, and in that time, I have had two kids gain a year, all three sprint through the final stretch of school before break, and we all endured a band concert. Most importantly, we have survived at least two days of break!

My youngest is back on antibiotics after one of his emerging boogers requested statehood. His ears have not been checked lately, but here's hoping the antibiotics clear up his hard-hearing. Otherwise, I must put it down to male pattern selective hearing.

The email is acting up. Many pictures won't download. I almost didn't post this. Rather than try for too much (or wait too long again), here are two videos of the band concert. One is great, the other not so much. I'm not telling which is which. But I will say, in the first video, the guy who walks in late is our mayor. This was the third song in the concert!





General consensus in these parts is that the baritone section is stunning, both in tone and execution.

I know I am more old-fashioned than many, but it still bugged me that through the whole concert, the middle-aged woman next to me was texting. She had a three year old sitting next to her. What can she say when the girl is wanting to text during a more formal setting? Of course, I was knitting. Is that activity on the same level as texting? I can pay attention mentally to something else when my hands are moving. Hmmm.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I admit I have a bias, in that I love you and everything you do, but electronic disengagement is more nefarious than working w/ your hands or even reading a book next to someone. You can carry on listening and conversing while you knit but not so much when you're texting/emailing on a device. This is only my opinion and your mileage may vary. I have a brother-in-law who's always doing something on his iPhone when at a family gathering - quite rude.